Monday, May 11, 2009

Mystery Plant






I was given this plant by a colleague of mine maybe five years ago. She couldn’t remember the name but was able to tell me that her mother grew it when they lived in the Caribbean and that it had many healing properties.


Recently I took a cutting from it and placed it in a glass to root, which it did — rapidly. Then I noticed these strange buds that developed into what looked similar to green grapes. These pods opened at the bottom and a flower popped out. Intrigued, I turned to the Internet to try to identify the plant once and for all. Sometimes you’ve got to love the Net... the search words “Caribbean healing plant” found me my answer in minutes.


So what is my mystery plant? It is a Kalanchoe pinnata (Crassulaceae), also known as leaf of life, air plant, miracle leaf, among other common names. Native to Madagascar, it can now be found all over and is indeed a healer. People bind its leaves to their heads to cure headaches, bruised leaves are used as a dressing for cuts, bruises, boils and insect bites. And for ear aches, leaves are rolled and heated and placed in the ear so that its medicinal properties can drip into the ear canal.


A most unusual plant, both for its looks and its uses!

No comments:

Post a Comment