Tuesday, May 26, 2009

High/Low Floral Arrangement





When I saw this green planter in a thrift shop I was attracted by its soft green hue. It has the lovely crackled glaze that comes with time. I brought it home and tucked it away. Flash forward a couple of weeks when the July issue (talk about ahead of time!) of Style at Home arrived in the mail. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the cover and spotted a vase that looked a lot like my green planter.

Wouldn’t it be fun to try and re-create the arrangement featured on the cover? So out I went to the garden to see what was in bloom. There isn’t much to work with at this time of the year. I didn’t have any roses — let alone burgundy ones, nor hydrangea. Perhaps other plants could stand in… some cream coloured tulips, the burgundy leaves of a Japanese maple, bright green hostas, and the deeper green of peony leaves. About ten minutes later I had made my selections and arranged them. The result? Not an exact duplicate certainly, but an arrangement that has some of the same flavour as the original.

It kind of feels like those “high and low” features where they replicate an expensive look with a lower price point one. Since the flowers and foliage came from the garden, the total look was achieved for the cost of the planter, a grand total of $2.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment