Saturday, May 23, 2009

Great Glebe Garage Sale






On one Saturday, every year in May, there is a giant garage sale in a part of our city called the Glebe, with hundreds of households joining in. You can't beat it for the sheer number of garage sales you can visit in one shot. And usually the weather cooperates by sending a lovely sunny day. Just like this year. One of the most inventive ideas I came across at the sale today was a family who thought of a very clever way to sell their kids' little toys and trinkets, the things that usually get put into a box with a sign that says 25 cents each. This family made mystery lootbags, putting a number of items into little brown paper bags, and then decorated them with some of the kids' artwork. I think they were charging $2 or $3 for each bag. By the time I reached their table, they had almost sold out. A great idea!


I was late getting to the sale today but still managed to find some treasures. I bought four things, for a grand total of $9.00. My first find was a very feminine pink planter with white filigree priced at $4. My second was a gazing ball in the most interesting shade of plum for $2. I was getting a little peckish by then so I bought an amazingly yummy lemon square for $1 from a bakery that had a tantalizing assortment of goodies out on the sidewalk. And last but not least, I came across this sweet little red tool carrier for $2.

Stay tuned for future posts to see what I decide to do with them.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Such lovely treasures. Allows the imagination to have fun.
    ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for leaving a comment MA. Hope you like the ways I decide to use my treasures! Sorry you didn't get to the sale this time, but there's always next year!

    ReplyDelete