Thursday, December 1, 2011

December Garlands


Now that it's December, I feel like I can start decorating for Christmas. I'll be sharing various creative projects and ideas throughout the month, so stay tuned.

This garland was made by overlapping lengths of evergreen, and wiring each segment where they join. A mixture of several different types adds texture and interest and in this case I used cedar and spruce. It doesn't take long to make a long length and the finished product not only looks lovely but it smells great.


Once wired, you can hang your garland from a post as I have here, or drape over a doorway or fireplace mantle. Or perhaps you'd like to wind it around a stair railing.

You can either add decorations before you put it in place or afterwards. I like to hang or drape it first so that I can see how the ornaments will hang.


If you don't have evergreen boughs you could try other branches such as twisty grape ivy vines, and bittersweet would be beautiful with its gorgeous orange berries.

So look around and see what you have at your disposal, and if nothing comes to mind, you can always use the bits and pieces you trim off the bottom of a live Christmas tree. You know, those branches that need cutting in order to set the tree in its stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment