Thursday, April 23, 2009

By the Sea





There are two beaches I remember from my childhood. The first was York Beach, Maine where my family went for a week or two every summer. I remember searching for shells all afternoon, lobster dinners and buying salt-water taffy in one of the shops along the boardwalk. The other beach was in Torquay, Devon when we would spend summers in England visting my grandparents, aunts and cousins. On the beach in Torquay I would look for beach glass, the smell of seaweed strong in the air. By the beach there were public terrace gardens filled with palm trees, so temperate is the climate there.
At night, thousands of little lights would glow among the plants.

I love the sea and walking along the beach, but I don’t exactly live near the ocean. Maybe that’s what led me to create a miniature beach to keep in our bathroom. I started with a small glass whose colour and rippled surface reminded me of ocean waves. It was a thrift-shop find for 49 cents. Next, I filled the glass with some fine white sand available from a craft store. Gathering together some small shells, a tiny starfish (smaller than my pinkie fingernail) and a miniature piece of driftwood which I found on a river’s shoreline I arranged them in the sand. Presto, an instant beach scape that brings a little bit of the ocean close, all year-round.

No comments:

Post a Comment