Monday, April 20, 2009

Marble for My Collection




As a kid, I was quite the marble collector, quite the player too. So it wasn’t surprising that I gravitated to the marble seller’s table at a Sunday flea market in a city I was visiting for the weekend. He regaled my sons and me with a brief history of marbles and explained how they are made. He even showed us a rare marble that is worth $1200.

I did come home with a marble, but it wasn’t that one. It was a reject from the assembly line. Something must have been slightly off because the marble ended up not round but oval. It only cost $3 and I love the mix of caramel and burnt toffee, the burnt orange shades and the lovely aqua swirls. It’s every bit a collector’s item as the more expensive one the marble dealer showed off to us.

1 comment:

  1. I love the colours as well! It is actually special in its imperfection as it is not like all the rest...

    ReplyDelete