Thursday, April 9, 2009

Easter Cookies



Easter is coming quickly... and what would Easter be without cookies? Rather than find the answer to that question I will have to start baking. Last year I baked two shapes: Easter eggs and Easter bunnies. The bunnies were made with a vintage cookie cutter I found at a church bazaar. As I started to decorate the cookies, I was inspired to use royal icing in a new way. To begin, I laid down the usual smooth icing base but then, rather than piping on the extra details, I suddenly thought why not paint them using a small paint brush and watered down food colouring? This was the result. Not bad for my first attempt. I will learn how to improve on this technique the more I use it. It certainly increases the possibilities. Using a brush one can render ideas in much greater detail than what you might achieve with only a piping bag and tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment