Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Pixie Home




Doesn’t this spot look like the perfect place for the entrance to a pixie home? When my son was younger, he and I would go looking for such entrance ways. He, like me, has a fascination for the world of elves, and fairies and other wee folk. It is such a fine thing to have an imagination that allows for the possibility of such creatures and their abodes.

When I was a little girl I was drawn to all those lovely English illustrations of worlds in miniature. Whether it was Cicely Mary Barker’s charming watercolour illustrations of flower fairies from one of her “Flower Fairy” books (the first was published in 1923), or children’s books with depictions of the interiors of mice homes with their match-box beds and sewing spool tables, I loved the sweet images and the imaginative minds that could conceive of such an anthropomorphic world in miniature.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the Flower Fairy books when I was little...in fact I still have a few; such beautiful illustrations.
    Thanks so much for visiting!
    Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind comment. The Flower Fairies are lovely - I also used to love books with little animals in houses in the roots of trees also, of course, The Borrowers:)

    ReplyDelete