Sunday, June 13, 2010

Garden Panic



At this time of year it’s very easy to panic about all the work that needs to be done in the garden. For example, my little Zen garden that I planted a couple of years ago has not only filled in, but has become completely overgrown. As you can see from these "then and now" photos, it's time to move some plants.

When I look around I am quite overwhelmed. There is weeding and moving of plants, edging of borders and some bigger projects, like laying a patio of flat stones in the backyard and planting ground cover. There are roses to buy and plant and planters to pot up with annuals. There are bushes and shrubs and trees to trim, lilac suckers to dig out, and endless blooms to deadhead. And in the front yard, the median between our driveway and our neighbours’ is also undergoing an update. In an effort to create a low-maintenance area, we are vastly simplifying that space. As in my back garden, we will be laying flat stones and using ground cover, along with a few specimen plants for interest. No wonder I feel a sense of panic, it’s made me quite nervous just listing it all here!

No comments:

Post a Comment