Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tea Dyeing





As my posts have often had tea themes lately, I thought I would share this tea-dyeing project. Friend D. found this lovely cotton shirt on a recent thrifting outing and when I gushed over its loveliness she very kindly gave it to me! Just look at its beautiful embroidery work. My skin tone looks better in cream than pure white, so my solution was to give the shirt a tea bath. I also decided to remove the buttoned tabs on the sleeves. I used Red Rose tea which resulted in an ecru colour ever so slightly tinged with pink.

Tea dyeing is really the easiest thing, and gives the most wonderful results. If you'd like to give this a try here are some instructions:

1) Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
2) Remove from heat and add teabags (I used 6).
3) Let the tea brew. Test by dipping a slip of white paper into the liquid, allowing enough time until the desired shade is achieved. (Note: finished colour will be slightly lighter, after rinsing and drying.)
4) Remove tea bags and stir well.
5) Wet garment and wring out, unwind and plunge into pot.
6) Keep turning the garment over in the pot to ensure complete and balanced coverage.
7) Pull out the garment from time to time to check colour. When desired shade is achieved, remove the shirt and immediately run it under cold water.
8) Rinse well, wring and hang to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment