Monday, January 11, 2010

Shades from Nature




I promised in my post a couple of days ago that I would show you what I used my latest thrift-shop wool to make. It didn't take long to knit this scarf as it is only a simple plain stitch from beginning to end. In my previous post I had remarked that these two yarns contained a mixture of colours that reminded me of shades taken from nature. And now that it's done I see just how much they are in keeping with the colours of stone and weathered wood. The yarn itself has the softest feel imaginable. I think it must be partly made of silk fibres (one of the disadvantages of buying from a thift shop is that the labels may be missing). But this yarn is so soft around the neck that I couldn't wait to knit it into a scarf. So very cozy.

If you are looking for a super simple project to do these winter nights while watching the telly, you'd be hard-pressed to find something more straightforward than knitting a scarf like this one. I cast on 21 stitches but you can add more if you like a wider scarf. As I mentioned, I only used a plain stitch so there's no changing of stitches requiring your concentration while knitting. And if you use a single colour, then you don't even have to remember to change colours. You'll be amazed at how quickly your scarf grows!

No comments:

Post a Comment