Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Liquid Jewels







Hot runny jam, as it pours into the waiting jar, is just like liquid jewels, and when the sun shines through, its ruby beauty springs to life.


I have just completed my fifth batch of strawberry jam for the season. Tonight as I was picking a basket for this latest batch, the clouds opened and the rain poured down. I had barely started to fill my basket so there was nothing to do but hunch over against the cold drops and get the job done.


Back home and changed into dry clothes, this latest batch was cooked, jarred, and ready to go. Does jam made with your own handpicked berries taste better than jam made from berries picked by someone else? Possibly. What is certain is that it tastes so very much better than store-bought jam!


And if you can bear to part with any of your delicious homemade jam, take one of the jars and embellish it with a cover cut from decorative paper (I used a snippet of wallpaper) then place it in a gift basket in the midst of freshly baked Devonshire scones.


No comments:

Post a Comment