Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Steps Worn with Time



Steps worn with time. The years go by and only our imprints are left behind to bear witness that we were ever here.

I was sitting here this morning thinking about a dear dear friend I met when I was a teenager. She was our neighbour and quickly became family. She died in 1992 at age 94. I have not been back to the little country cemetery since her burial and over time I have forgotten where she was buried.

Such are the miracles of the Internet that starting with a search for Brome County (the only location I could recall that might be nearby), the links led me to the placename Bolton, that sounded right. I then searched for Bolton cemeteries. And there it was... a link to Bolton Centre Cemetery. Choosing that link I read the page in disbelief, here was a description of the cemetery and even better, someone had transcribed all the headstones. I hardly hoped to dare... my eyes scanned the names... and there she was.

What were the chances. To find the right place is amazing in itself, to be led straight there is incredible. I have missed Margery so, and have always wanted to go back and visit her gravesite. Now I will be able to. What a gift I was given today. I have so much gratitude for the person who made the effort to transcribe all the tombstones and made them available for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment