Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Vintage Aprons




Aprons. Does anybody wear them anymore? When I think of aprons I visualize housewives of the fifties, who used to dress for dinner and so put on an apron to protect their frock while they prepared the evening meal, while awaiting the arrival of their husband who had been at the office all day. Those were half-aprons, often ruffled at the edges or trimmed with rickrack, often handmade.

Vintage aprons can still be picked up fairly easily at flea markets and thrift shops for almost nothing. The one pictures here range in price from $1.99 to 7.99.

Nowadays, I suppose it’s the long versions we see most often, worn by men at their barbecues. Or perhaps your local butcher, if you’re lucky enough to still have a local butcher. Oh yes, and I believe the baristas at you-know-where still wear a green apron to protect them from flying foam and steaming milk.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dale,

    Remind me to show you my vintage aprons when you come for brunch!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE aprons in general. I like the ones that cover the chest too, as I am a VERY messy cook!
    I have been trying to get a friend of mine to make me a couple as she is a seamstress extraordinaire. Glad you can get them at a reasonable price. Here they are just TOO expensive as they have "caught on" again.

    ReplyDelete