There was a lot of hype around Blue Monday. Turns out the formula used to calculate the day that is supposed to be the most depressing of the year may not be all that scientific. The whole thing may actually be more of an ingenious marketing ploy by a travel company. It may even be next Monday rather than today. But there's no arguing that this time of the year is certainly challenging and no matter which day, we can all use some ideas to get us through the winter blues.
Here are some suggestions:
1. Buy a single bloom to brighten up your living space.
2. Take a walk outside. Extra points if it is a sunny day. If it's really cold, enjoy the crunch and squeak of the snow underfoot.
3. Eat chocolate, even better if it's the dark variety.
4. Spread a little kindness, do someone a favour. It will make you feel good.
5. Write a note to someone you've been thinking about, or surprise someone with a phone call that you don't stay in close contact with.
6. Read a book or watch a movie that transports you somewhere far away.