Monday, February 15, 2010

Light Up the Night Makeover





It’s been much too long since I posted a creative project, but happily I have one for you today. It was inspired when I found this night light at a local thrift shop for the princely sum of 59 cents. I thought that it might benefit from a new shade.

Once I’d stripped it of the shiny green synthetic silk covering and plastic pearls and beads, I was left with a frame covered in a plastic sheeting material. The plastic sheet was easy to remove and made a very handy template. (This was a stroke of luck, because I didn’t really know what was behind the green fabric.) After deciding which paper I wanted to use (choosing among all the possibilities was the hardest part of the project), I traced around the template and cut out a new cover, allowing an extra border all around. I spread the back of the paper with glue and stuck it to the plastic sheet which had been placed back on the frame, folding the paper border around the frame and sticking it to the back of the plastic, thereby holding everything in place. Total time was around five minutes!

I like the less fussy, more natural look it has now. Very tranquil and relaxing, it casts a lovely soft glow at night.

1 comment: