Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Skirt Tote Bag



As you’ve probably already surmised, given the title of this post, this whimsical tote bag was made from two skirts. I loved the pattern on each of these thrift-shop finds and thought they might make nice tote bags. Since they were going for bargain prices, I thought I’d give it a try and so I brought them home with me. Somewhere along the way, instead of making two bags I combined them to make one that is reversible. I’m quite pleased with the result.


To make:

Cut a couple of inches off the bottom of each skirt. Sew these two pieces together to make a strap. Sew each skirt separately at the bottom. Put one skirt inside the other (seams of both inward) and pin the strap in place between the two skirt tops. Next, sew the top edges of the skirts together. Sew the area where the strap is attached several times to reinforce. To keep the top closed when in use, you can add Velcro, a button, or a couple of snaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment