Saturday, July 9, 2011

Hydrangea Blue


One of my favourite flowers is the hydrangea, especially those in shades of blue.

When I first planted my hydrangea shrub it was a lovely deep blue. Because of our soil, it gradually turned pink over a period of a couple of years.

I had read that soil needs to be acidic to produce blue blooms, so I buried an assortment of old iron nails that I had found washed up on a local riverbank, placing them all around the bush. Some say that this will not turn a pink hydrangea blue, others vouch for this method, claiming that the iron oxide from the rusty nails acidifies the soil. Would it work for me?

Much to my disappointment my hydrangea didn't produce a single bloom last year. But this year... there are blooms... and they have a decidedly blue cast to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment