Sunday, April 25, 2010

Random Arranging



Usually when I cut flowers to bring in for an arrangement, I take great care to cut what I think will work together to make a nice display. I turn to the cupboard where I keep all my vases and containers, well actually there are now two cupboards where I keep my ever-growing collection, and I pause to determine just which one will be the most perfect. Which one complements the flowers in terms of scale? Do I want the colour to contrast or be in harmony? What style of vessel works best with the feel of the arrangement I have in mind? Eventually, sometimes after trying several, I make my choice and then the fun creative part of arranging flowers takes place.

But the other evening, I heard that it was going to be cold overnight, very cold, so I went out after dinner and cut a little of this and a little of that... just in case. I’d rather have a lovely sampling, albeit somewhat random, safely inside with me than risk losing them all overnight. And since I had other things to attend to, I grabbed two largish vases and plunked half the blooms in one and half in the other. With not much more thought than that. And while I do tend to favor informal simple arrangements, I have never been quite as spontaneous and free as this before. But you know, both bunches look quite charming, and certainly very cheery. With blooms this beautiful perhaps there is no way that they wouldn’t look nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment