Monday, March 8, 2010

Wee Tips




Coming home today I noticed these snowdrops and some wee tips of other spring flowers coming up in the garden, which certainly added a little cheer to my day. First signs of spring. A cause for optimism. The snowdrops look like miniature lanterns lighting the way.

I always keep a layer of leaves on the flower beds in the fall to act as insulation during the winter, and as the snow has just melted in the last few days, the tips of these spring bulbs have been forced to pierce through the dried leaves reaching, as they do, for the sunlight. Just as we ourselves do.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Are you really serious? These are coming up already? March 8!!? Is that some kind of record?
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Jen, they are really there in my garden. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Winter just might be over... and yes I think it is earlier than other years! Last year I posted some snowdrops on March 20th.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete